How Susceptible Am I To A Data Breach?
3 min read | Aug 26, 2020
In today’s world, every piece of important information is kept online. It has huge benefits, such as accessibility, but it also opens up a window for cybercriminals to take data and information that is valuable to us. The team at Benton Technology Solutions has seen this many times, which is why we’re taking a deep dive into data breaches to show how you can best protect your company.
What is a Data Breach?
A security breach is when data and information is taken or viewed without the permission of the company or person who owns the data. In today’s world where most information is online, digital hacks are becoming more and more prevalent. Data breaches can adversely affect companies, take time to repair and damage relationships and reputations.
Different Kinds of Data Breaches
There are many different ways that cybercriminals try to steal your information, but here are the top 4:
- Phishing: A common form of cyberattacks is phishing, which is when a hacker sends an email that looks authentic, but is actually fake. Many times, they include a link or an attachment and when the viewer clicks the file, a virus is downloaded to their computer.
- Denial of Service: DoS attacks is when a device is shut down by the attacker, which makes it inoperable for the owner. Doing this, the hacker can access information and lock users out of their devices.
- Malware: Malware is a software that is created to gain access into a computer system and cause damage or steal information. Many times, however, the user does not know that they have malware on their device.
- Ransomware: Another type of malicious data breach is ransomware, which is when your data is stolen in exchange for payment. Ransomware can occur through many avenues, including emails, websites or messages.
5 Steps To Take To Protect Your Company From A Data Breach
Just like there are many different kinds of data breaches, there are also many steps that your company should take to protect your data. Here are the top 5 that you can begin implementing today:
- Educate staff on the importance of data protection
- Use strong passwords that are difficult to guess
- Keep your software updated on all devices
- Encrypt data that is being sent out
- Don’t access personal information on company devices
Should You Be Concerned About A Cyberattack?
Unfortunately, cybercriminals are dedicated to stealing more than just giant companies’ data. Any business, no matter how large or small, is at risk to a data breach. We recommend always finding ways to improve your data protection, starting with the 5 steps above. From there, working with IT professionals to identify weak points and ways to improve will set you up for success in this constantly changing world.
Next Steps After A Data Breach
If you believe you have suffered a data breach or want to protect your company from a future cyberattack, reach out to the experts at Benton Tech today. We know how to best help you secure your company’s information and keep it out of cybercriminals’ hands.